Sunday, October 12, 2014

Black Bean Burgers and Seasoned Oven Potatoes

You have seen that we are trying to eat healthy.  That is the inspiration for this recipe.  I did a lot of research on black bean burgers.  I had never made them before.  We had eaten them but had never made them.  I love, love, love to create recipes, so when my husband said, let's make (meaning me) some black bean burgers, I was up for the challenge.  I have made the seasoned oven potatoes for years, so they were the perfect match.  They are a bit lighter too and you could certainly make them with sweet potatoes.  I just had white potatoes in my pantry, so that is what I used.  Just use what you have.

Black  Bean Burgers

Ingredients:
2 cans of whole black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small white or red onion, minced
1 carrot or 5-6 baby potatoes, minced
1 bag of frozen corn
1 tsp Seasoned Salt
1/2 Tbsp Garlic Pepper Seasoning
2 eggs, beaten
1/2 to 3/4 cup plain bread crumbs

Mash the beans until you get a coarse paste.  Add the onions, carrots, seasonings and mix well.  Add the egg mixture and mix again.  Start off with 1/2 cup of the bread crumbs and mix well.  If it appears too sticky add the rest and mix well.  Create patties, you should get 6 out of the batch.  Let rest while you prepare your potatoes.

Seasoned Oven Potatoes

Ingredients:
4-5 potatoes, cut in half and then sliced
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 Tbsp Seasoned Salt

Place sliced potatoes in a bowl, add olive oil and seasoned salt.  Toss to coat and pour out onto cooking sheet making sure they are all flat on the sheet.  Bake at 475 degrees while you are cooking the burgers (about 15-20 minutes), turn at least once during the cooking time.

Cook the burgers on a griddle or grill pan greased with olive oil until browned and firm.  I cooked 4 and then 2 to make sure they all cooked evenly.

Serve with a bun (or not) and your favorite toppings. 



No comments:

Post a Comment