Sunday, January 10, 2016

Lentil Soup (update included)

When I am home sick, I always make some warm and tasty comfort food. My fave when sick is soup. I wasn't all about the meat today so Lentil Soup was the choice. High protein, high fiber and oh so yummy!  My version is very good for you and great for keeping those new year resolutions.

Ingredients:
One pound bag if lentils, your choice of colors, I had green, washed and sorted
One stalk of celery, an inner stalk with leaves is best, diced
One peeled carrot or 6 baby carrots, diced
Half of a small red onion, diced
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1 carton of low sodium chicken broth
3 cups of water
1-2 teaspoons of Seasoned Salt
5 turns of fresh cracked pepper


In a large sauce pan or soup pot, melt the butter on medium to medium-high heat until bubbly. Add diced carrots.  Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Add the diced celery, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Add the diced onion, cook and stir for 2 minutes. Watch that your veggies don't burn. 


Add chicken stock to deglaze the pan and get all if that yumminess off of the bottom and stir. Add your water. Cook the veggies in the stock for 5 minutes or so stirring occasionally. Add your washed lentils and stir. Add Seasoned Salt and pepper and stir. 

Cover with a tilted lid and cook for 25-30 minutes, stir occasionally.  I went for the 30 because I like my lentils a little sifter. If you like them a bit more Al dente, cook them 25. Serve hot with Bountiful Beer Bread if you like. Enjoy!!


Update:  oh my this is so good the next day!  I added a handful of kale to the portion I reheated and wow is that yummy!  A drizzle of Roasted Garlic Infised Oil (just a teaspoon or so) makes the flavor so much better. Try it!!


No comments:

Post a Comment